Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Shades on the Shopping List

I had this dream the other night where...

A cute girl named Krystal was signing me up for a cash prize drawing. One condition of the drawing was that you had to tell what the first thing you were going to buy with the prize money was before entering the drawing.

I had just flown into Los Angeles and forgotten my shades, so I told her the first thing I'd buy was a pair of sunglasses. She smiled at that and finished up the form, qualifying me for the drawing. I can't remember who asked who, but since it was my dream, I'm going to guess she was the one who asked if I'd like to go out later. I said "yeah," and was feeling pretty good about things from that point on.

Krystal walked with me into a meeting, already in progress, where two of my friends were asking a man and woman for lots of money to produce a movie. The potential financiers were both dressed in navy blue, the woman in her power suit and the man in a business suit, his chiseled face set with skepticism behind designer frames. I breezed into the room, leaning in to take something from the candy dish in the middle of the table. Then, I dropped into a chair at the far end of the table, listening to the meeting wrap up.

My friends talked about how much they believed in their project and how they would find a way to get the movie made no matter what. I stared at the ceiling, trying to think about something else while the woman assured my friends that theirs was a worthy project and the film's message was very moving and powerful. Then the guy in the suit shook his head, talking about logistics and movies being a high-risk investment. Then he made some comment, apparently including me and Krystal, something about how we didn't know enough people to get the film made properly. "There are only four of you."

I swiveled around in my chair and laughed in his face. He was so serious. "Buddy, if there are only four like us, then the world's in trouble." I stood up and nodded to the lady in the power suit. She was kind of pretty for a woman old enough to be my mother.

Me and my pals walked out of the meeting. Krystal gave me a big smile as our shoulders brushed against each other.

...and I'm still not entirely sure what the dream was about. I'm just glad I was cavalier, ate some candy, and got the girl.

No comments: